Enrollment and Registration

These regulations govern types of enrollment at Loyola University New Orleans beyond the admissions process. This includes procedures for initiating actions such as (but not limited to) auditing a course, changing majors, applying for a double major, or filing for a leave of absence or medical withdrawal. Veterans certification and active duty process can be found in this section. Additionally, these regulations describe processes involving classroom discipline and dismissal from the university.


If you do not find what you are looking for, please return to Academic Regulations Home. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Records at sturec@loyno.edu.

Academic Enrollment Status

Full-Time - Undergraduate Student:
Any undergraduate student enrolled in 12 or more credit hours.

Full-Time - Graduate Student:
Any graduate student enrolled for 6 or more credit hours.

Full-Time - Summer Session:
Any student enrolled for 6 or more credit hours. Any  student not enrolled full-time is considered part-time.

Online Programs

Online students take courses across two distinct sessions during the Fall and Spring semesters. An online student is considered full-time if their total credit hour enrollment across both the first and second session of a given semester meets the above criteria.”


Academic Advising

Loyola University maintains a number of resources to support a holistic approach to academic advising, and this includes faculty advisers and professional academic counselors. Advisers are available to students throughout the academic year, but their role is especially important during the orientation and registration periods. Students often work with their Advisers to select their academic program, navigate potential academic concerns, and assist in the sequencing of their coursework. 

All students are assigned an academic adviser. Faculty members are usually assigned to advise students who have indicated an interest in their particular field of specialization. Students may obtain the names of their assigned faculty advisers from Loyola’s Online Records Access (LORA). 

Students should be aware that knowledge of and adherence to regulations of Loyola, both academic and otherwise, are the ultimate responsibility of the student.

Back to Navigation 


Auditing a Course

Students who do not want to earn university credit for a course may elect to audit the course. Such courses are considered part of the student's term course load and are recorded on the transcript.

  • Regular tuition and fees apply for audited courses.
  • To audit a course, an audit request card signed by the student, his or her adviser and the instructor must be filed in the Office of Student Records before the last day to add classes.
  • The instructor of the course will advise the student what is expected as an auditor in the class. A course previously audited may be taken for credit by enrolling in the course in a subsequent term.
  • A student may change from audit to credit or from credit to audit before the last day to add classes as indicated in the academic calendar for the term.
  • Upon completion of the semester, the audited course will receive a final grade of (AU) Audit, (AI) Audit Incomplete, or (FA) Failed Audit.


Change of College or Major

Students may change colleges or majors by completing a major change request through their LORA account. Students must allow 5 business days for the paperwork to be processed. Students with less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average may change majors within another college with the approval of the associate dean of the college in which they plan to enroll.

  • Continuously enrolled students who took a formal leave of absence follow the academic program of their original bulletin year they were admitted to their current college. 
  • Students who change majors within their current college remain under the bulletin year they were admitted to the college. 
  • Students who change majors between colleges will be required to update to the bulletin requirements in effect at the time of the change. 
  • Students wishing to add or change a minor must do so in their Dean's Office.

Back to Navigation 



Undergraduate Classifications

DEGREE-SEEKING STUDENTS are formally admitted to pursue a degree program. Degree-seeking students are classified as follows:

Freshmen—0 – 24 total earned hours
Sophomores—25 – 55 total earned hours
Juniors—56 – 89 total earned hours
Seniors—90 or more total earned hours

Initial classifications are determined by the Office of Admissions based upon the credentials and application submitted by the student. Classifications may be changed in a student’s first term by the Office of Admissions up to November 1 in the fall semester, March 1 in the spring semester, and two weeks after the summer session registration.

Graduate Classifications

Classifications are determined by the Office of Admissions based upon the credentials and application submitted by the student.

DEGREE-SEEKING STUDENTS are officially admitted to a specific program and are classified as follows:

Classification Hours Earned
Graduate Freshman 0 – 9
Graduate Sophomore 10 – 18
Graduate Senior 19 or above
Doctoral Student 0 or above hours in a Doctoral program

Specialized Classifications 

NON-DEGREE-SEEKING STUDENTS are admitted with official credentials but do not wish to pursue a particular degree program. Students admitted as non-degree-seeking must enroll in consecutive terms or apply for a leave of absence in order to maintain their status. Failure to follow these procedures will require an application for readmission. Coursework taken while a non-degree-seeking student is subject to evaluation in terms of applicability toward a degree. 

TRANSIENT STUDENTS are admitted for one semester. If they wish to continue their enrollment, those who enroll as transient students must apply for admission as non-degree-seeking students or as degree-seeking students by submitting official credentials. Transient students are not eligible to early register. Coursework taken while a transient student is subject to evaluation in terms of applicability to a degree. 

Back to Navigation 


Classroom Discipline

In the classroom, a student does not have the right to engage in conduct which is disruptive to the educational process. Please review the Student Code of Conduct in the Student Handbook for details.

Online & Off-site Programs

The online learning environment and all extension sites (including practicum and internships sites) are considered a “classroom”. All students, whether enrolled on-campus or online, participating in practicums or internships, or taking courses at an extension site are expected to abide by this policy and not engage in behavior which is disruptive to the educational process, regardless of the mode of course delivery.


Cross Enrollments

Courses taken at another university follow the host university's class schedule and regulations. Students planning to graduate at a home institution other than Loyola should be aware that Loyola's examination period may be later than the home institution graduation date, and Loyola grades may not be submitted to the home institution by the deadline.

Loyola has a consortium arrangement in place with four universities, Tulane University, Dillard University, Xavier University of Louisiana, and Notre Dame Seminary of New Orleans. This arrangement allows undergraduate students at any one of the universities to take courses at each of the other three institutions on a space available basis. The intent is for students to have access to a wider variety of coursework.

To participate in the aforementioned consortium, students must be full-time students and must be enrolled at their home institution for a minimum of nine hours. The maximum number of credit hours students may enroll per semester through the consortium is eight (8) hours if lecture courses require a lab; otherwise the maximum approved hours is six (6) hours.  Students pay full-time tuition to their home institution to be eligible to cross-enroll. Payment for all courses is calculated at home institution rates and is remitted to the home institution, however, any course lab fees or fines must be remitted to the host institution prior to the release of final grades. Consortium credit and grades will appear on the transcript of the home institution as if they were taken there. Interested students need approval from their department, their college dean, and Student Records.

Students taking courses at another university should request their Loyola transcript to take with them when registering for courses that have a prerequisite.  

Loyola University also has an enrollment agreement with American University, Washington Semester Program. Students may enroll, with permission of their dean, in this program. These courses will be placed on the Loyola transcript, and the grades will be included with Loyola's grades. Tuition is paid directly to American University.

Consortium Registration Form

Credit Hour Certification - All Students 

Classification Full Time 3/4 Time 1/2Time LT 1/2 Time 1/4 Time
Undergraduate 12 9 6 5 3
Graduate 6 4.5 3 1-2  
Law 9 6 4.5 4 3
Summer School 6 - 3 1-2  


Credit Hour Policy

Loyola expects that a one-credit course in a 14-week semester to require 50 minutes of classwork or direct faculty instruction and 100 minutes of out-of-class work for 150 minutes of total student engagement per week. Based on this calculation, students should expect to engage with a one-credit class for a minimum of 2100 minutes over the course of a semester; a three-credit course for a minimum of 6300 minutes per semester.

Students should expect to engage with a course for the required number of minutes no matter the length of the term. Shorter terms will require more intense engagement as the same number of minutes are acquired within a shorter timeframe. In all instances, a 3-credit course will require 6300 total minutes of student engagement whether the course takes place in a 14-week term, an 8-week term, or a 2-week term.  Students should consider engagement expectations when planning individual academic schedules, and should not expect courses taken within a shorter timeframe to include less coursework. 

The Credit Hour Policy applies to all coursework at Loyola and not only to lecture/seminar courses.  The policy equally applies to internships, practica, labs, field research, independent studies, experiential courses, and studio courses.  The following list is a representative, but not exhaustive, sample of the coursework that students can expect when calculating the contact hours associated with credit hours:

  • Instructional time (e.g. 700 minutes per credit hour; 40 contact hours for a 1 credit internship)
  • online synchronous meetings
  • reading assignments
  • reading discussion board posts
  • reading instructor announcements 
  • written assignments
  • discussion board posts
  • preparation for quizzes and tests 
  • viewing videos
  • listening to podcasts
  • group projects
  • event attendance 
  • work as an intern
  • field trip attendance
  • service learning
  • meeting with instructor


Double Major or Minor

Qualified students who have completed two full semesters of their freshmen year and have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0  may pursue two majors.  Students must complete all major and adjunct requirements for both declared programs of study as set forth in the Undergraduate Bulletin. Courses listed in the adjunct column for any declared major are treated the same as general electives and may be applied to a 2nd major or minor. 

  • Students interested in pursuing a double major should consult with the associate dean. 
  • Students who complete the requirements for two majors will only receive one degree from Loyola. The degree is based on the student's primary major. 
  • Transcripts will indicate the bachelor's degree awarded as well as the two majors. 
  • Students who pursue majors in different degrees, such as Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Business Administration, must declare as their primary degree whichever requires the higher number of major and adjunct hours. 
  • Loyola students do have options to pursue a dual degree or second bachelor's degree
  • Students wishing to pursue multiple academic minor programs should contact their Dean’s Office.


Drop/Add Period

Deadlines for drop/add activity are strictly enforced. A dropped course is removed from the student’s record. Please refer to the academic calendar for deadlines.

Students should be aware that scholarships and financial aid opportunities may not be available if the student is required to stay beyond four years (if admitted as a freshman).


Dual Degrees for Currently Enrolled Students

It is possible for currently enrolled students to complete two different degrees (i.e. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science) and receive two separate diplomas. The following guidelines must be met: 

  • Approval of the program details with the associate dean of the college(s) involved. 
  • Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0. 
  • Dual degrees involving at least one undergraduate degree require completion of at least an additional 30 semester hours beyond the first undergraduate degree with at least 15 hours completed in the second degree's major; minimum total required hours are 150. 
  • All grade and degree requirements set by both academic programs.   If the degrees are in two separate colleges, the student is required to  meet the requirements set by both colleges.

Back to Navigation


Early Law School Admission

Students who enter law school generally do so after having completed a bachelor's degree.  However, the Loyola College of Law may accept students after they hae completed 3 years of exceptional undergraduate work and have earned an appropriate score on the LSAT.  Students who wish to attempt early admission must have completed all itemized undergraduate degree requirements, including all Loyola Core requirements, all major requirements, and named adjunct requirements. The first 30 hours earned in law school will be applied as general elective credits only for the completion of the undergraduate degree.

Students are not guaranteed acceptance into the Loyola College of Law, as the College of Law has the final authority on all admission decisions.  Interested students should consult with their associate dean as well as the College of Law Office of Admissions.


Enrollment at Other Universities

Students must obtain approval of their requested coursework from the department advisor/chair and associate dean prior to enrollment in courses at other institutions. Students must be in good academic standing, carry an overall GPA of 2.00 or greater, and have no pending disciplinary issues. If required by the attending university, students should request a "Letter of Good Standing" from the associate dean.  

  • Students who are classified as a junior or above cannot attend a Junior/Community College
  • Students are cautioned that associate deans will grant permission to take courses (non-common curriculum) elsewhere only when the student can demonstrate compelling reasons to do so.
  • Credit will be awarded only as earned hours for approved courses in which grade of C or above have been earned; grades of C- or below will not receive credit. Grades do not transfer, only the earned hours.
  • After completion of the course, students must submit an official copy of the transcript from the other institution to the associate dean for evaluation of transfer credit.
  • Loyola students on academic suspension may be allowed to take up to 9 credit hours of coursework elsewhere with permission of the associate dean. Please see the appropriate academic action policy. 
  • Loyola students on approved medical leave may be allowed to take up to 9 credit hours of coursework elsewhere with permission of the associate dean. Please see medical leave policy. 

Back to Navigation


Graduate Courses Taken by Undergraduates

Undergraduates may take one graduate course in each of their last two semesters with approval of their associate dean. The graduate course’s earned hours and quality points will be applied to a student's graduate career only. If students wish to have the graduate credit applied to the undergraduate career, they should petition the associate dean’s office within the first month of class. Under no circumstances will the course’s hours and quality points apply to both the graduate and the undergraduate careers.

Loyola offers specific dual degree programs where graduate credit taken by undergraduates is articulated as part of a comprehensive academic plan to complete both an undergraduate and a graduate degree. Students interested in pursuing one of these dual degrees should discuss these specifically articulated academic plans with their associate dean. 

Independent Study Request

Prior to enrolling in an independent study, students must obtain the signature of the instructor, the department chair, (honor's program director, if applicable) and the student's associate dean.  Please use the Independent Study Request Form to seek approval.

Leave of Absence/Intent to Re-Enroll

Students who are in good academic standing (2.00 cumulative GPA or higher-undergraduates/3.00 cumulative GPA or higher-graduate) are eligible for up to two consecutive semesters of Leave of Absence from Loyola. Students must formally request this action through their associate dean no later than the last day to withdraw for the semester.  Students approved for a Leave of Absence will be able to re-enroll in courses for the semester following the designated Leave period without having to reapply to the University, provided the student has no registration holds or re-entry conditions outlined by their associate dean or Student Health Services.  

NOTE: Students with a cumulative GPA below 2.00 (undergraduate) or 3.00 (graduate)  are not eligible for a Leave of Absence. A student who requests a Leave of Absence, but whose cumulative GPA is below the minimum will be completely withdrawn from the institution and must reapply for admission.

Before requesting a Leave of Absence:

  • Students must discuss leave status and coursework with their advisor prior to taking an approved leave of absence. If a student plans to take courses elsewhere while on leave, they must seek official permission to do so through their associate dean.
  • Financial aid recipients must speak with Student Financial Services about the impact a Leave may have on their financial aid. 
  • Students living on-campus must Contact Residential Life to make arrangements to move out.
  • Contact Mail Services to arrange to return mailbox key or discuss a forwarding address.

Students on a leave of absence (either standard or medical leave) must also sign the disciplinary/criminal background form before allowing to register. A registration hold will be place on all leave of absences (standard or medical) to ensure that this form is signed when the student returns.  This form will be emailed to you prior to your return term.

Back to Navigation



Loyola Online Records System (LORA)

The Loyola’s Online Records Access (LORA) is available to all students, current as well as alumni (1979 to present year). Students can check their grades, account balances, financial aid, transcripts, and class schedules, and some students, with approval of their adviser, may register online.

Loyola University will provide access to LORA for Parents (LORAPAR) for currently enrolled dependent undergraduate students. LORAPAR will provide non-directory information on the student including grades and financial aid information.


Back to Navigation



A major is a student's primary academic program of study. Should the university, in the orderly review of curriculum, decide to discontinue a major, the courses necessary for the completion of the major will be offered in a two-year teach-out period.


Medical Withdrawal from the University

A student can be granted a medical withdrawal from Loyola. Applications for medical withdrawal should be referred to the Director of Counseling and Health Services, and follow the regulations provided in Section 8 of the Student Code of Conduct. There are no partial medical withdrawals for a term. 

Voluntary Medical Withdrawal from the University

If a student is unable to complete the coursework or other course of study for a semester due to medical and/or mental health reasons, the student may request a medical withdrawal from the University. Medical withdrawal requests must be supported by appropriate documentation from a licensed care provider, submitted to the director for counseling and health services and approved by the executive director of student affairs. Any student receiving a medical withdrawal during the term may be required to remain out of class the succeeding term. This decision will be based on seriousness of illness and time of withdrawal. There are no partial medical withdrawals for a term. If at the time of a medical withdrawal request the student has pending incomplete grades from the previous semester, the student is withdrawn from these courses as well. If the deadline for converting incomplete grades has already passed by the time the withdrawal is requested, the grades remain as assigned. Any exceptions must be approved by the Director of Counseling and Health Services and by the Associate Dean of the student’s college.  The institutional refund policy applies. Medical withdrawals must be made within the term being requested (during illness). Students who have not been enrolled at the University for a period of two semesters or more and/or have below a 2.0 GPA at the time of the medical withdrawal must re-enroll and follow the degree requirements in effect at the time of their reentry.

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal from the University

This policy is meant to be invoked by the Executive Director for Student Affairs when a student is unable or unwilling to request a voluntary medical withdrawal and such a leave may be necessary because the student’s behavior severely disrupts and/or threatens the university’s learning environment. Before an involuntary medical withdrawal is considered, efforts will be made to encourage the student to take a voluntary medical withdrawal.  The executive director of student affairs may require a forensic evaluation to facilitate an informed decision.

Medical Withdrawal Re-enrollment

To re-enroll at the University following a medical withdrawal, a student must contact the University Counseling Center to schedule an appointment with the Director for Counseling and Health Services. The student must secure a letter from the primary treatment provider that includes dates of treatment, treatment progress, treatment plan, and a recommendation to resume coursework at the University.  Once the student has been cleared by both the primary medical provider and the Director for Counseling and Health Services, then the student will be cleared to register for courses.*  If a student has other registration accounts holds, then those must be cleared with the respective departments in order for registration to occur. 

*Students who have not been enrolled at the University for a period of two semesters or more and/or have below a 2.0 GPA at the time of the medical withdrawal must re-enroll and follow the degree requirements in effect at the time of their reentry.


Military Service Policy (Active Duty)

Loyola wishes to provide as much assistance as possible to students who are called to active duty in the United States Armed Services. To this end, these guidelines shall be followed with appropriate consideration, approved by the president of the University, as required under special individual circumstances.

Loyola recognizes that no policy can anticipate every situation or circumstance that may arise when students or employees are called to active duty on short notice. Loyola commits itself to responding to individual situations with sensitivity and in the spirit of justice and charity.

Policy Guidelines for Current Students

These policy guidelines shall apply when a currently enrolled student is called to active duty in the armed forces of the United States. No involvement in hostilities or period of overseas duty is required for these policy guidelines to apply.

These policy guidelines shall remain in effect for the individual student called to active duty, even if subsequently the University should have reason to change or alter the guidelines.

If called to active duty, a student should provide a copy of his or her service orders to the Office of Student Records. At that time, the student should inform the Office of Student Records in writing which of the following two options he or she chooses:

  1. The student may elect to withdraw from the University and to be placed on a leave of absence for the period of one year, which can be extended. In this case, he or she may chose (1) to receive a full credit for tuition, fees, residence hall and meal plan fees paid to the University to the date of the withdrawal, which credit will be applied against expenses when the student reenrolls following military service; or (2) to request a prorated refund of tuition, fees, residence hall and meal plan fees paid to the University. This prorated refund will be based on the number of weeks that have elapsed in the semester before the student gives notice of the decision to withdraw; once determined in the individual student's case, the prorated refund rate will be applied equally to any tuition, fees, residence hall and meal plan fees paid to the University. The student's right to reenroll in the future and register for courses is maintained unaffected.
  2. If more than half of the semester has elapsed at the time the student is called to active duty, the student may choose to take an incomplete grade (I) in his or her courses. These incomplete grades will be maintained as the permanent record for a maximum of one year, which can be extended by written request. Once reenrolled, the student returning from active duty should ordinarily resolve any incomplete grades within the first six weeks of reenrollment. If a course in which a student returning from active duty has an incomplete grade is no longer offered or if the faculty member is no longer with the University, the returning student will receive a full tuition credit for a replacement course.

Please note that if the student is called to active duty in her or his last semester prior to graduation, the student should contact the appropriate Dean's Office to make arrangements for completion of graduation requirements.

The Office of Student Records will notify the appropriate Dean's Office of the student's decision to withdraw from the University and record withdrawal (W) grades and the date of withdrawal on the permanent record. Students who chose to take incomplete grades (I) will need to bring incomplete grade slips, signed by the appropriate professor, to the Office of Student Records. In this case, the Office of Student Records will record incomplete grades (I) on the permanent record.

Loyola graduation requirements for students called to active duty will be "grand fathered" in that whatever graduation requirements the student faced when leaving for active duty will be the same upon his or her return. (This stipulation is not applicable for state certification requirements or other accrediting association's requirements.)

While the University will make every effort to accommodate students returning from active duty, placement in the undergraduate honors program or as a member of the Law Review or the Moot Court in the School of Law cannot be guaranteed.

A student called to active duty may designate a person with power of attorney to take care of any matters left unfinished at Loyola. This designation should be provided in writing to the Office of Student Records before the student's departure.

In the case of law students who are called to active duty, waivers will be granted as necessary to the American Bar Association standard that states students should graduate within five years of commencing School of Law studies.

University scholarship awards based on merit will be preserved for students holding such awards when called to active duty. These University scholarship awards may be reclaimed by students returning from active duty for a period of two years after their release from active duty. (Please note that any federal grant or loan awards, which the student may have received, will be governed by the applicable policies established by the Department of Education.) The University reserves the right to require students to exercise any available eligibility for need-based federal assistance as a condition of retaining merit-based scholarships.

Back to Navigation


Repetition of Courses

Students may only repeat a course with a grade of "C-" or below or if your major requirement requires you to have a grade of "C" or better. For students who repeat a course, grades for both courses are used in GPA calculations unless the student requests and qualifies for Academic Amnesty; in which case only the new grade is used towards the GPA. However, the student will only receive earned credit hours for one course. Loyola’s policy is to show all grades in repeated courses, and the student receives no additional credit hours towards graduation. To determine academic standing, all grades and quality hours are included. Repeated courses of this nature will carry a transcript notation identifying all repeated courses.

Some courses may be taken more than once by design, such as Independent Study, Theatrical Play Production, etc. Courses that are allowed to be taken more than once will not carry a transcript notation identifying a repeated course; grades and earned hours will be calculated and accrue towards graduation. 


Residency - Undergraduate

At least 25% of the semester credit hours required for a Loyola undergraduate degree must be earned through instruction offered by Loyola.  At least 50% of the credit hours in the major must be earned through instruction offered by Loyola.  The last 30 credit hours must be completed at Loyola, unless special permission is granted by the dean or designee for the student to pursue coursework elsewhere.


Back to Navigation


Second Bachelor's Degree

A student who has already been awarded a bachelor’s degree may apply for a second degree only if the second degree is different from the first degree. Ordinarily, a second degree at the undergraduate level is discouraged, and a graduate degree is encouraged. However, in rare instances, two baccalaureate degrees may be appropriate to a student’s educational goals. Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from Loyola University or any other accredited institution may earn a second bachelor’s degree from Loyola if they meet the following conditions:

  • Have the approval of and work out program details with the associate dean of the college involved;
  • Complete at Loyola a minimum of 30 additional semester hours beyond the first degree, at least 15 hours of which must be in the second degree’s major;
  • Complete all requirements for the second degree not covered by the first degree program;
  • Meet all quality point and grade requirements set by the college, including the college’s Common Curriculum requirements.
  • Students should be aware that financial aid opportunities for those seeking a second baccalaureate degree are limited.


Back to Navigation


Veteran's Certification

Please see Student Records website for information on the certification process or contact Kathy Gros, Director of Student Records and Veteran's Certifying Official for information on obtaining veteran's educational benefits.  Her contact information is (504) 865-3237 or kgros@loyno.edu.


Withdrawal from a Course

After the drop/add period and up to one week following the midterm period, students may receive an administrative withdrawal from a course. A grade of W for the course is placed on the transcript, and the transaction requires the adviser’s and instructor’s signatures. Course withdrawal is not complete or official until all signatures have been obtained and a copy is filed in the Office of Student Records.  Note - a final grade of "W" does not impact your grade point average, but it may impact your financial aid.  

Students who stop attending but do not officially withdraw from the course will receive a grade of F. Please refer to the academic calendar for deadlines.

Print and process this form - Course withdrawal

Faculty Initiated Withdrawal

Students with excessive unexcused absences from a class may be administratively withdrawn from a course. Please see the rules for a Faculty Initiated Withdrawal under Attendance

Back to Navigation


Withdrawal from University 


If a student withdraws and wishes to return within 1 year (2 semesters) of the withdrawal, the student may petition Student Records for a leave of absence.  If the student’s gpa is 2.000 or greater the leave will be granted.  If the gpa is less than 2.000, the student must reapply for admission.  

If a student withdraws and wishes to return after a year’s absence or if the student’s gpa is less than 2.000, the student must reapply for admission and if readmitted can petition their Associate Dean to return under the same catalog.

Print and process this form - University Withdrawal


If a student is granted a medical withdrawal, the withdrawal is processed by the Director of Counseling and Health Services.  Once a student submits required documentation to that office for readmission, the Office of Student Records will be notified.  See Medical Withdrawal from the University for further information.

If the student’s return is within one year and the student is in good academic standing, the student will be granted a retroactive leave of absence.  

If the student’s request for readmission is greater than one year or the student’s gpa is less than 2.000, the student must reapply for admission and if readmitted can petition their Associate Dean to return under the same catalog.

If a student has decided to leave Loyola permanently, then they are encouraged to formally withdraw from the institution through the Office of Student Records. To be approved for a Withdrawal from the University, a student cannot be dismissed/excluded for academic deficiency or disciplinary issues.  In the event a student requests a Withdrawal, but has been dismissed for academic or discipline reasons, the Withdrawal Request will be cancelled and the dismissal/exclusion will stand.  Any student who plans to return to Loyola, must reapply for admission.

Before requesting a Withdrawal from Loyola, students should make appropriate arrangements with the Bursar’s Office, Student Financial Services, and Residential Life to ensure that all financial obligations to the University have been satisfied.

Deadlines for withdrawal

  • Full refund and course removal from record – last day to drop noted on academic calendar.
  • Partial or zero refund and receive grades of “W”  - last day to withdraw noted on academic calendar.

Back to Navigation